Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thinking I'll get ahead for once...

I was thinking that I should take a day and cook all day and feeze things so that we could have dinner every night. I've heard this from several people and it started to sound good to me when I found myself not able to cook in the evenings due to pain (especially since I've started physical therapy). I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not my favorite thing to do either...but the main reason is that I'm not feeling well enough. So...I made a menu and a shopping list for Travis...still can't go walk around a store forever. I HATE riding on one of those carts too. I just feel that people are looking at me and questioning my motives... Anyway, I decided on Chicken Tortilla Soup, Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Sour Cream Enchiladas (we must like Mexican...yep, we could eat it everyday...one of the reasons I gave up Taco Mayo for Lent), Chicken and Noodles, Chicken Speghetti (we must like chicken too), and Chili.

First off...this is my first time to cook several dishes at once and I tried to double the recipes so that we'd have food for a while... I boiled and shredded a butt load of chicken breasts...I really don't want to see another chicken breast for a LONG time. I boiled all the chicken first and browned about 5lbs. of hamburger at the same time. I made the enchilada casserole and was on my way with the chicken and noodles. I burnt the chicken and noodles...:-(...I hate that. It was a huge pot and would have lasted us for months. Well, maybe not months but for a while!!! As I was burning the chicken and noodles, sautee-ing the onions in butter for the sour cream enchiladas, I decided to stir the tortilla soup, that I put in the crockpot first, (minus the chicken...I doubled the ingredients and there wasn't enough room in my crockpot for the chicken)...anyway, I decided to stir the tortilla soup and found that a little bit of the cheese had burnt to the sides at the bottom. I quickly spooned (actually it was a measuring cup, it went faster that way) the mixture into this big cake pan sized plastic container that Travis got me (LOVE it, by the way) hoping to salvage what was not burnt. I was very discouraged at this point. I made Travis try the burnt chicken and noodles and even the ones that weren't burned tasted bad! I really didn't want this to happen...I used two big things of Velveeta and that's getting expensive! I tasted it this time...no need to make Travis do it twice...and it tasted fine! YEA!!!

On to the other enchilladas!!! I made those (they are quite complex to make but are really good)...cooked them...i didn't think they'd freeze well uncooked and had one pan for supper and another pan in the freezer! In the meantime, I put chicken in the soup, scooped it into three seperate containers and away to the freezer it went! I say away it went 'cause i didn't take any of this by myself...I have to give credit where credit is due...Travis actually carried all the meals out to the deep freeze in the garage. Thanks mom and dad...it's really coming in handy!!!

After getting the soup finished I realized I had to wash the big pot the chicken and noodles burned in so that I could cook the speghetti noodles for the chicken speghetti...yeah...not so excited about the task at the moment. Needless to say, right now at almost 9pm, the pot is soaking so that it will be easier to scrub in the morning...NO WAY was it coming up tonight!!! So...tomorrow, I have to make, put together, bake the chicken speghetti...clean the same pot and then make the chili with all the meat that I browned earlier today!!!

At least I have a plan...The dishes will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm on my 2nd ice pack for my hip and I'm going to have to graduate to some pain meds....Time for bed!!!







4 comments:

  1. What a monumental task! I'm really proud of you for cooking so much food. You will be glad you did it when you can just go to the freezer and have a meal ready. Love you all, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for your benefit too, Julie! What would you like to have on Wednesday night? My menu is up above!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you said you were going to do it and you did!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete